Thursday, June 21, 2007

words of wisdom

I was just on A friends blog and one of her posts really hit home. (Jen, I hope you don't mind me copying one of your posts on my blog.)

I've been thinking a lot lately about my attitude as a Mom and I know I need to improve. I want to be really positive and I'm trying to enjoy every moment I have with them. The time goes by so quickly! One of my dear friends from colorado Mary, told me something that has always stuck with me. We were talking about parenting and she said "sometimes you have to get off your butt" I think about that all the time when I'm doing one thing and a child needs something...again. Or when I'm busy and the kids are fighting, or whining about one thing or another, or the classic yell across the yard because I don't want to get up. When I do get off my butt things run so much smoother. They can see me there engaged with them, making eye contact, caring. Anyway, I've learned so much about being a parent. I've learned that sometimes it's so hard that I feel like I can't do it anymore, like I'm not good enough to take care of such amazing and draining kids =). But then the moment, or sometimes the week, or the month passes by and I find myself renewed and ready to enjoy whole heartedly again. I just want to say to all Mom's who have kids and sometimes feel like you're drowning in kidness- I've so been there. I know how important it is to get out, by yourself or with a friend and be YOU again. I can't say that enough, it's not selfish, it's necessary. Even just once every 2 weeks, get out and do something that you love to do. It will make you a better Mom, wife and person. I can already see such a difference in my stress level when I take that time for me. I was just talking to my sister Annette about that. We also talked about how hard it is to have little little kids. She has 2 kids under 2. That really is a 24 hour job. And it's an emotional roller coaster. One minute you feel like you could burst because you have children to attend to constantly, and the next they're both sleeping and you're thinking 'what was my problem, this is easy.' Anyway my point is, it gets better. Maddie is 6 and I can feel the difference, I'm not entertaining all day long, I don't have to dress every child, I no longer have 3 in diapers, and I'm actually sleeping through the night, and the kids don't have to be supervised 24/7. I love it! Heaven. So hang on if you're on the emotional no sleep, nasty diapers, spit up, crying multiple children phase. It's a great time of life and goes so quickly, but it does get a little less stressful

2 comments:

Jen-ben said...

Ah shucks...thanks! I'm so glad to know that my honest jabbering is usefull to someone else! Love you!

Amber said...

Jen- your honest jabbering is on Sara's blog too! isn't that a hoot? maybe you should write a book or something......