Monday, August 27, 2007

A STROKE OF BRILLIANCE!



We were driving home from Prescott last week after getting my ring back (a whole posting of it's own later) and I was quietly thinking of Livia and her famous fit throwing. She had a week where tears just seemed to come so easily for her. Chad and I were trying to be the best parents we could to stop this awful habit and it seemed like we always ended up adding fuel to the fire. I was really concentrating on what would really reach her and the idea just came to me. I am sure this does not seem that amazing to everyone but when you are using the smallest parts of your brain while raising children just the fact that you are capable of critical thinking is a blessing. Livia- much like her mother- loves candy! I have been wanting to find a way to cut down on her candy intake each day so I now have a solution that works 2 fold: I let her pick out of this huge tub chad and I have in the top of a cupboard (my friend calls stashes like theses "candy salad" you know left over Easter candy, Halloween candy and just whatever loose pieces of candy are left over from candy purchasing) I let livia pick 10 pieces of candy in the morning to put in her candy jar. I explained that whenever she misbehaves I will simply be eating a piece of her candy. what ever is left over in her jar after dinner she can eat for her dessert. The first day was great- I never had to say a thing! If she threw a fit I would just get really excited and run over to her jar and open it up and dramatically choose a piece of candy I would like to enjoy right in front of her-"yummeeee, a starburst! I love the pink ones" if she cried while I was eating her candy I would just simply move on to another piece. by the time three of her precious hand picked pieces of candy were in my mouth and not her jar I saw the light bulb go off.........she quietly turned around and went to play. she was scared to speak because I might take antoher piece. Triumphant!!!!!! my plan really worked and has continued to work. If she throws a fit while we are running errands I just make certain that when we get home the first thing I do is eat some of her candy. She has yet to accomplish getting all ten pieces at night but she is really determined.

10 comments:

Theresa said...

Love it - that is brilliant! I think I will adopt a plan like that at my house...

Courtney said...

Great idea. I was using polly pockets as a reward if Haley could stop whining for at least three days a week. She will never get her polly pockets. She likes candy even better. I think I will have to give it a try

Tiff Hunt said...

I am in love with this idea. You are brilliant. Way to use critical thinking!! Have you told Nicole? Maybe then she can give up the 'Naughty Juice'. I hate that stuff!

Bethany said...

What a great idea. I wonder if my kids are old enough to understand this one. hmm...

Unknown said...

Like Tiff said, we have been using naughty juice and I have to say it has served it's purpose. All I have to do is show the stuff and the girls straighten up immediately. However, I was reprimanded by the feeding therapist @ Phoenix Childrens. I believe her exact words were, "It probably isn't the greatest idea to give a child with eating problems undiluted vinegar." (Damn good thing I didn't tell her I spank my children -- she probably would have called the cops!) However, giving a diabetic a candy jar isn't the best idea for me either. It would work for Shayde, but it wouldn't be fair to Savannah Belle. I will use what little critical thinking skills I have left these days to come up with something good. You're awesome! I just love ya!

Tia said...

I will add this one to my list!

sara said...

Who the heck has leftover candy? I've stopped buying candy because there never IS any leftover! selfwill = 0
All kidding aside, Amber - this was a great idea! I'm so glad it has worked out so well!!!!

Rachael said...

I know you too well! You just want an excuse for YOU to eat candy :) But it is a good idea...

Rachel Clare said...

Amber, this is brilliant. Unfortunately for us, Elias is throwing tantrums all the time, and I would just get fat. But, brilliant, none the less.
Rachel

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! I know my girls will catch on and I really need something new in my discipline area. I suck at it and my kids seem to always be misbehaving. So I am starting tomorrow and I am sure it will work.